[e2e] Average throughput on public Internet?

foo foo at eek.org
Tue Oct 23 16:50:01 PDT 2001

Hello.

I'm hoping to find data on the average end-to-end http (or other proto)
throughput observed on the public Internet today. If this data exists I
hope to use it to come up with some rough expectations for sustained
bitrate required to support X number of simultaneous users, and other such
projections.

I'm familiar with the NeTraMet work done at CAIDA, but I'm curious if
there is anything else out there. I realize this is a complex topic and
subject to much discussion, but I would appreciate pointers to any
research being done.

Thanks,

-Brian