[e2e] on local ethernet throughput?

Andrew Smith ah_smith at acm.org
Wed Oct 24 13:23:07 PDT 2001

There are plenty of other possibilities that involve "user" authentication
in the control plane that don't need to touch the data plane packet
encapsulation. One example is what we did for IEEE 802.1X - an on/off switch
for most data packets and a way of intercepting a control plane message (EAP
over a new L2 encapsulation) were the only data plane intrusions. A much
cleaner design, I think (only works for a switched pt-to-pt topology, or
some emulation of that like 802.11 wireless, of course).

I put "user" in quotes above because I think that what the DSL deployers
wanted was "payer authentication", not necessarily "user" (I have to give my
"user" password to anyone in my household for them to use the DSL link with
a PPPoE session and my provider makes me use that same password to use their
email services :-( (hence the new email address!).

But this isn't really the place to gripe about the power of monopolies etc.
even though it impacts the "end-to-end-ness" of the service ...

Andrew Smith