[e2e] on local ethernet throughput?

Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.rhyolite.com
Wed Oct 24 13:45:42 PDT 2001

> From: "Woojune Kim" <wkim at airvananet.com>

> I was just wondering about the comment w.r.t PPPoE being an abomination.
>
> While I agree it is a complete mess and not very pretty, I think it was
> deployed because network operators had a real problem : authenticating
> users and making money when deploying DSL modems.
>
> I've always wondered if there are any other methods that could have been
> used.

First, it does not really work (or at least not as well as alternatives),
because it shrinks the MTU to less than 1500.

Second, there was no need to stick Ethernet headers below PPP on
serial links.  No other PPP medium needs them.  The only reason I
can see for PPPoE is that the hardware people who built it didn't
understand the first thing about what they were doing.

The right way to build DSL "modems' would have been to make them
real PPP-Ethernet bridges and to use the PPP bridging CP
or (better) to make them PPP-Ethernet routers and use IPCP.
None of this is rocket science.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com