[e2e] on local ethernet throughput?

Alex Cannara cannara at attglobal.net
Wed Oct 24 15:54:20 PDT 2001

Ahhh, good questions.  Some may be surprised to hear that the latest
'craze' in network equip. design at places like Cisco, Nokia, etc. is to
"send no bad packets" from LAN-connected devices.  In other words, no
cut-throat (oops, through) switching.  Since a switch must necessarily
be a bridge, regardless of forwarding mode, bridging is as alive in
curricula as ever.  Though it may be called "switching" for fear of not
being au courant.  But oldies learned long ago of routers as "packet
switches", so the term hasn't a marketing bang for some.
There are curricula that follow fads, but none of us would do that,
right mateys?  {:o]

Alex