[e2e] on local ethernet throughput?

Andrew Smith ah_smith at pacbell.net
Wed Oct 24 17:40:12 PDT 2001

Vern,

I didn't miss your point - I was starting from the premise that people had
already decided to do Ethernet-over-DSL: once they'd decided that they would
have done better to use something 802.1X-like for
authentication/authorisation (can't say they should have used 802.1X since
IEEE didn't have it fully cooked at that time).

I didn't take it as a premise that PPP was what people would run on top of
such things and underneath IP. But that's the most screwy part - putting
connectionless IP on top of connection-oriented PPP on top of connectionless
Ethernet on top of connection-oriented ATM on top of point-to-point DSL on
top of (by definition :-) point-to-point copper wire!

Andrew Smith

P.S. Sorry you didn't like my "fancy jargon" - I thought stuff like that was
what most people on this list understood.