[e2e] on local ethernet throughput?

Barney Wolff barney at databus.com
Mon Oct 29 09:05:52 PST 2001

There is nothing inherent in DSL technology that requires PPoE.
My DSL provider (Acecape, long may they prosper) is a Verizon
reseller but manages to provide a static IP and 1500-byte MTU with
Ethernet bridged directly by the DMT modem and ATM between Verizon
and the ISP.  They do check the source MAC and do ARP once in a while,
so either the DSLAM obscures the circuit id or for some reason it's
not easy to use it.  But the key thing is no special drivers and
no shaved MTU.

--
Barney Wolff

"Nonetheless, ease and peace had left this people still curiously tough.
They were, if it came to it, difficult to daunt or to kill; and they were,
perhaps, so unwearyingly fond of good things not least because they could,
when put to it, do without them, and could survive rough handling by grief,
foe, or weather in a way that astonished those who did not know them well
and looked no further than their bellies and their well-fed faces." J.R.R.T.