[e2e] typical network syllabus

k claffy kc at ipn.caida.org
Mon Oct 29 13:47:19 PST 2001

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 10:50:05AM -0500, Craig Partridge wrote:

  In message <Pine.GSO.4.21.0110241717190.27465-100000 at phaestos.ee.surrey.ac.uk>,
   Lloyd Wood writes:

  >What does a 'typical network syllabus' look like these days?

  There isn't one.  Indeed, if you look at what the professional societies
  in our field think about networking you typically discover it buried in
  the syllabus for the OS course in their model curriculum.

  Incidentally, SIGCOMM is out to fix this glitch - we're looking to put
  together a team of volunteers to produce a model curriculum for networking.

don't overlook http://iec.caida.org

(sigcomm actually donated a bit to that project
a few years ago before NSF funded it)

best case would be (original intention was) to have a
commercial publisher take over and maintain
some `living textbook/curriculum' sort of thing
but we've not gotten a lot of serious interest
in that direction