[e2e] typical network syllabus

Henning G. Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Oct 30 12:09:00 PST 2001

Thanks for the list. I'm not sure a single 'advanced' course is
necessarily the best option, given the diversity of topics and
approaches.

At Columbia, we've been splitting this up into multiple courses,
including a course on network security and a course on multimedia (with
multicast, QoS, streaming, scheduling, etc.). See
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/6181 and
https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~angelos/teaching/4180.html or
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/teaching/security/

Also, I think wireless and mobility issues deserve broader coverage, in
addition to web issues (where programming, rather than theory, tends to
be a major focus).

I don't think you can do justice to network security in just one or two
lectures, given the background in crypto required to make this more than
a 30,000' view. Focusing a course on media has the advantage that it
lends itself to a progressive project, incorporating multicast and
multimedia.

--
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs