[e2e] typical network syllabus

Holger Karl karl at ee.tu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 30 23:15:41 PST 2001

Hello,

Wu Yan wrote:

> Hi,
>     As a student, I think splitting is a good idea. Maybe an introductory
> course could go first, which covers the concepts of most topics. After
> taking this course the students could have an overview of networking
> technology. Later they could take advanced courses which deal with specific
> topics. For example, a course on network performance, a course on security,
> a course on mobile networks.

This is rougly what we do: a basic course with excercises and lab, and
quite a number (9 at the moment) of small additional courses on various
topics from broadband communication to distributed systems. While this
does give students a lot of choice and possibilities from
specialization, it also requires quite a bit of effort from students and
teaching personel alike. We are lucky enough to have the teaching
resources, but I am not sure that this model can be easily applied in
other circumstances.

Regards

Holger

--
Holger Karl
TKN, Technische Universität Berlin

"If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race
has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that
word would be 'meetings'."
                      Dave Barry [American author, 1947- ]