[e2e] Clock Synchronization Protocols/Algorithms

Bob Lindell lindell at ISI.EDU
Wed Oct 31 13:23:33 PST 2001

>    I would like the jitter to b within 200 usec.

I suspect your question is more of an engineering than protocol issue.
Unless you engineer your network explicitly wrt delays, you must
expect that time reports from the network will have jitter.  It is
up to your local oscillator to ride you through the waves and
achieve the short term stability that you are designing the system
to meet.

Many PCs have very inexpensive local oscillators.  To meet your
jitter requirements, you may need to design your equipment with
a better oscillator (or augment an off-the-shelf PC with a better
oscillator).

Bob Lindell