[e2e] end-to-end -ness defeats content controls

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Mon Oct 1 07:59:28 PDT 2001

The canonical reference to the end-to-end argument is the original paper
which I co-authored with Saltzer and Clark.  It existed in several forms;
here are the most accessible:

Saltzer, J.H., Reed, D.P., and Clark, D.D., "End-to-end arguments in
computer systems design," ACM Transactions in Computer Systems 2, 4,
November, 1984, pages 277-288.

Online version: http://www.reed.com/Papers/EndtoEnd.html (for those who
believe that print versions are becoming less "archival" than digital ones).

There are more recent references to the "policy" impacts of end-to-end design.

For example, there are a couple of related papers by Dave Clark and Marjory
Blumenthal (write to ddc at lcs.mit.edu for references) on the places where
the end-to-end approach conflicts directly with more centralized techniques
and definitions of policy controls - and in particular they comment on
areas related to the IPR issues you discuss.

[begin side comments, relative to my personal views on end-to-end design
and IPR]

My personal opinion is that the term "intellectual property" itself
distorts the argument in a way that is hard to avoid, and potentially
dangerous.  It is only very recently in history that copyrights, patents,
and trade secrets were labelled (by some) to be "property".  The legal
history of these things started out without the concept of property.  A
patent is a right to block certain *uses* of an idea (not ownership), a
copyright is a right to block the *copying* of an expression (not
ownership), and a trade secret is a right to enforce the binding of people
to maintain secrecy.  None of these rights make bits into property.  The
right to block may be assigned or sold (but the underlying idea is not thus
assigned or sold), so the "right" behaves like property, but the bits
don't.  All of these things are *limited* in scope by time and other
constraints.  Again not *property*.

So a proper end-to-end design process would focus on means to achieve
effective enforcement of the *rights* above.  By creating "property-like"
packages of bits, designers are overreaching, and participating in "making
new law".

One of the benefits of end-to-end design approaches is that it forces
designers to think through what the proper goal of a designed function
should be.  Too often, designs are driven by the tools/techniques available
"in the network".  Those tools get subtly converted to become the goals by
pragmatism.  If the tools "overreach" (implementing a far-too-rigid and
extensive form of the desired function) there will usually be some who
support that overreaching as a goal.

For example, it is by no means clear that "rights management" of the form
described by law and precedent can be implemented in the network.  But it
is certainly true that much more onerous controls can be implemented in
some areas of the network (viz. Microsoft's latest approach to
anti-circumvention in its Windows Media architecture).  Do those controls
merely "optimize" enforcement of existing laws about copying?  Or do they
create vast new areas of capability to interfere with actions other than
copying?  From the marketing literature for these new digital rights
management schemes it is clear that they have created many new controls:
for example specifying which application programs are allowed to process a
particular expression, and extending the "term" of copy blocking to a term
longer than the limit mandated in the law.

Sadly, both lawyers and system designers participate in the overreaching,
and in the word-spinning that they use for political cover.  Equally sadly,
some of the folks interested in circumvention use incorrect technological
arguments to claim that the old laws should not apply even  in cases where
it is clear, rather than using the political process to get the laws changed.

[end of personal comments]