[e2e] Transparent subnets with Proxy Arp

Eric Goldman eric23 at softhome.net
Wed Sep 5 16:22:02 PDT 2001

>   *>
>   *> The Host Requirements RFC includes a comment about it
>   *> interfering with transport layer dynamics.  And some other

> Please give a specific reference; I don't see that comment.
>
> Bob Braden

RFC 1127 ("Perspective on host requirements"), section 4, item 2:

    Even without proxy ARP, the management dynamics of the IP route
    cache interact in subtle ways with transport-layer dynamics;
    introducing routing via proxy ARP brings a third protocol layer
    into the problem, complicating the inter-layer dynamics still further.

- Eric Goldman