[e2e] Transparent subnets with Proxy Arp

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Thu Sep 6 14:03:46 PDT 2001

  *> The text from RFC 1127 below seems to have a specific
  *> phenomenon in mind, but it's not clear to me what that is.
  *> Does it mean that expiry on entry from  the cache will
  *> cause a new ARP exchange and additional latency which
  *> then affects TCP RTO?  Or is there something more "subtle"
  *> than that?
  *>
  *> Regards,
  *>
  *> - Eric
  *>

Eric,

Based on what I wrote, I would assume that the mechanism is as you
describe.  The mechanism is simple, but TCP's reaction to such
perturabations are not.  See PILC.  (Of course, in 1989 we did not
understand TCP performance as completely as we do in 2001).

Bob Braden