[e2e] What's the benefit of out-of-order processing?

Jon Crowcroft J.Crowcroft at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 00:21:40 PDT 2001

In message <200109180529.WAA01620 at Pescadero.DSG.Stanford.EDU>, Sam Liang typed:

 >>> Congestion control is useful, but it is not an "application benefit" (at
 >>> least directly).  Out of order delivery has *nothing* to do with whether
 >>> congestion control signals are sent, or how their coding (as ACKs or
 >>> whatever) reflects their meaning.
 >>
 >>  I certainly was not saying out-of-order delivery had anything directly
 >>to do with congestion control signals.  Because Amr was suggesting a way to
 >>transfer a large file that didn't send any ACKs until the end, I was
 >>asking if no intermediate ACKs were sent back, how did the sender detect any
 >>congestion condition.  Of course if you want, you can invent other ways to
 >>report congestion condition.  But it won't be trivial.

Sam

most people working on a variety of techniques for
congestion control for multicast transport protocols have
had to tackle the problem of efficient sampling of congestion
conditions without a "full on" feedback channel - c.g.
pgmcc: A TCP-friendly Single-Rate Multicast Congestion Control Scheme
Luigi Rizzo (Universita di Pisa)
http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/sigcomm2000/conf/abstract/1-2.htm
and
Extending Equation-Based Congestion Control to Multicast Applications
Joerg Widmer (University of Mannheim), Mark Handley (ACIRI)
in sigcom2001
http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/sigcomm2001/p22.html
and the also mentioned receiver based schemes by vicisano and also
used by luby et al...

also, the HIPPARCH project did a bunch of work on ALF type protocols -
see
http://www.docs.uu.se/hipparch/
for links to papers

 cheers