[e2e] What's the benefit of out-of-order processing?

Naidu, Venkata Venkata.Naidu at Marconi.com
Tue Sep 18 07:20:27 PDT 2001

-> Congestion control is useful, but it is not an "application
-> benefit" (at
-> least directly).  Out of order delivery has *nothing* to do
-> with whether
-> congestion control signals are sent, or how their coding (as ACKs or
-> whatever) reflects their meaning.

   Reed, I agree that "Out-of-order" is nothing to do with Congestion
   Control. But "delivery" (our-of-order or in-order) has close relation
   with Congestion Control. How else will the sender know without
   receiver sending back some signals to pace the sender?

   You mean to say in the FTP example, we can do congestion control
   with time outs than expecting signals from receiver.

--Venkata Naidu