[Tsvwg] Re: [e2e] What's the benefit of out-of-order processi

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Tue Sep 18 07:45:35 PDT 2001

The urgent pointer delivers no out of band data, except for the pointer itself.
What it does do is tell the receiver where in the upcoming stream it needs
to "read" to in order to get urgent data.  The TCP recipient still needs to
acknowledge all bytes up to that point - thus the stream remains
ordered.  In the design of TCP (I designed the urgent pointer mechanism in
1977 or so, as part of eliminating the entanglement of TELNET functionality
with TCP), out-of-band data was deliberately not supported, since the same
function could be achieved more simply and generally, by opening one or
more parallel TCP connections for the out-of-band data.

At 06:36 PM 9/17/2001 -0700, Jacob Heitz wrote:
>The urgent pointer does not point at a range, only at a single
>byte. It can only deliver a single byte of out-of-band data.
>
>Sam Liang wrote:
> >
> >   Also, doesn't TCP's urgent pointer offer a means to deliver out-of-band
> > data?

- David