[e2e] EC++N

renjish pillai krenjish at yahoo.com.sg
Tue Apr 2 04:34:31 PST 2002

 We have done something very similar to it. The idea
 was to decouple ECN from TCP and use it as a general
 feedback from the network to identify the transient
 congestion. The experimental setup was a DiffServ
 network with RIO AQM (with multiple physical and
 virtual queues) in the intermediate routers. The
 feedback (stream of probing packets) mechanism
 (decoupled ECN like mechanism) was used by the
marking
 algorithm at the edges. More information (mentioned
by
 you) can be obtained from the network by adding the
 position of congestion etc to the probing packet. The
 probing packet was given a higher priority, thus
 making the feedback faster.
 Incase of TCP flows, this could be particularly
 useful because:
 1. ECN mechanism can give a feedback to TCP only when
 packet of that particular flow is marked, where as in
 our mechanism, we get the feedback based on packet
 drops in any flows. This works pro-actively.

 2. Our mechanism is scalable as it acts as feedback
 for any number of flows of any type (TCP or UDP or
 anything else) flowing through a particular path.

 3. The feedback can be used by the edges to determine
 suitable congestion-free paths in a VPN or MPLS
 scenarios.

 Please check
 http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~kaleelaz/catclcn01.pdf

 The paper was accepted in LCN 2001.