[e2e] RE: mobility -> aggregation (TRAP?)

Dmitri Krioukov dima at krioukov.net
Wed Apr 17 16:46:49 PDT 2002

Noel, I suspect you've misinterpreted my reply
to some extent since *I* agree with many of these
points. But not all.

In particular, the "fate-sharing" principle
(which I (erroneously?) thought was a part
of the end2end principle) calls for *minimizing
the amount* of state in the network (one of the
major reasons being to minimize signaling, etc.,
after a failure). Please explain how keeping
source- and/or connection-related information
in the state helps to achieve this goal.

However, another point would be that I don't
think that any principle should be static and
considered as the absolute truth forever.
In this sense, it is "good" :) that
"Rethinking the design of the Internet:
The end to end arguments vs. the brave new
world" is co-authored by the same person
who (co-)authored the papers you've mentioned
(which are available at the CiteSeer, BTW:
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/83743.html
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/clark88design.html).
--
dima.