[e2e] ResiliencyToward Packet Misordering

Cottrell, Les cottrell at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Thu Aug 1 10:34:45 PDT 2002

We made a separate measure of re-ordering for 1 second separated pings in December 1998. There were about 220 paths in about 70 countries. Pretty much a subset of the for the measurement made in August 2000. We did not look at reorders for the 1 second separated pings for the August 2000 measurements.

Monitoring out-of-order packets for two weeks in December 1998, in an approximate total of 224,448 sets of pings (each set was 10 pings separated by 1 second) sent from SLAC in that time, 24 had out of order packets, roughly 1 in 10,000. Of the 24, 5 came in a short burst on December 16th between 04:00 and 10:00 (PST) all from sarka.fzu.cz. 4 more occurences to ftp.physics.carleton.ca happened on December 10,11,12 and 15. 3 Other sites (ntp.dnai.com, mnhepw.hep.umn.edu, uae6.ciemat.es) had 3 occurences each, there were two occurences to fnal.fnal.gov, and 4 other sites had one incident each.

In all cases the out-of-order packet was due to an extraordinarily long response time. Some were long for all the pings, some had just the out-of-order ping taking up to 68 times as long to return as the minimum time for that sample.