[e2e] Rebroadcast of Sigcomm Keynote 12:30pm EDT Today!

Mark Crovella crovella at cs.bu.edu
Wed Aug 21 16:18:32 PDT 2002

David Reed wrote:

>At 05:15 PM 8/21/2002 -0400, Erich Nahum wrote:
>>In addition, not only do many corporate policies dictate firewall
>>usage, anyone who is *not* behind a firewall or NAT is asking to be
>>hacked.

>Anyone who thinks that a firewall or NAT prevents hacking hasn't
thought
>about the problem clearly.

What he said was:
	not behind a firewall/nat -> danger of being hacked
What he didn't say was:
	behind a firewall/nat -> no danger of being hacked

Taken a logic course recently? :)

Anyway, I had the same reaction as Erich.  The whole time I was watching
the broadcast from my home machine, with firewall and nat temporarily
turned off, I was thinking about my home network's vulnerabilities ...

Mark