spam (Re: [e2e] (no subject))

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Tue Aug 27 07:40:52 PDT 2002

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Alberto Cerpa <cerpa at lecs.cs.ucla.edu> writes:
>
>>It is actually quite easy to find a middle ground.  Posters that post
>>from multiple email addresses could subscribe with all the email
>>addresses they want and disable mail delivery in all of them but one
>>(this is one of the mailman features).
>

> Actually, I've been informed by those running the list when I
> complained about the current situation that even though the mailman
> manual states that is a feature and even though I've run lists with
> that feature it is not a feature. (Don't ask me -- I don't understand
> the position either.)

Since I'm the one doing the informing, let me clarify (again).

Mailman allows members to subscribe multiple times, and to set some
subscriptions as 'no deliver'.

What it FAILs to do is allow a single user to manage a group of
subscriptions as a SET.  When a single user unsubscribes, unless _they_
keep track of what the associations are, there is no way to manage the
group.

There are some mailers that have that capability (alias lists).

As far as I know, Mailman does not have this facility. (unless it is
patched, and since we run one version for many lists, that's not feasible).

Joe