[e2e] Compression of web pages

David G. Andersen dga at lcs.mit.edu
Tue Aug 27 08:21:01 PDT 2002

> > I was wondering though, wouldn't it be more efficient if
> > the web client were able to request "compressed web pages" in
> > the initial HTTP request ? So instead of having specialized

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:57:33AM -0400, Woojune Kim mooed:
> How does the client indicate this to the server ? And vice versa ?
> Do you click on special tags ? Or is it in the HTTP Request message itself ?

  Via accept-encoding: gzip.  You can use something like mod_gzip to do
dynamic compression of the webpages on the server end;  if you're
concerned about server overhead, it can also serve up pre-compressed
pages.  There are also some PHP addons that can provide this functionality
for dynamically generated HTML.

  It works nicely.  It's been around for years.  Almost all browsers
support it.

  -Dave

work: dga at lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga at pobox.com
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/
      I do not accept unsolicited commercial email.  Do not spam me.