spam (Re: [e2e] (no subject))

Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.rhyolite.com
Tue Aug 27 09:16:21 PDT 2002

> From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at piermont.com>

> If I either fixed this or got the mailman folks to fix it, would you
> reconsider?

Surely there are more valuable uses for everyone's programming time.
Then there is the risk of bugs in any new code.

This mailing list is one of the major sources of spam that reaches
my mailbox, because I white-list it.
However, that doesn't say anything for two reasons.  My defenses reject
about 80 messages/day addressed to my mailbox, and a lot more to
various spam traps at rhyolite.com.  Second, I see less than one
spam per week via this mailing list.

Manually adding filters also sounds like an ineffective way to protect
a mailing list.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com

P.S. that value of 80 is misleading, because a few spammers won't take
 "no" or (a 5zy answer) the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even sometimes the 10th time.