[e2e] Re: Question on "identification" field of IP header

Ramesh Shankar RShankar at Novell.com
Fri Dec 13 10:05:19 PST 2002

I would suspect that for the ICMP case, the IP ID wouldn't be too useful
for the transport and above layers as these layers typically don't know
(or care) about the ID in the IP header.

Even for the retransmit cases, typically new IDs are used and no attempt
is made to reuse the ID with which the previously lost packet was sent.

Hoping that someone would clarify the purpose in life of the IP ID field
if the don't fragment bit is set. One answer that Jamshid Mahdavi told
me privately was that it would be useful at debugging time while looking
at packet traces.

Thanks,

S.R.

David Borman wrote:

>Just a minor nit that I feel should be clarified:
>

>>From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
>>Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:41:51 +0100 (CET)
>>Subject: Re: Question on "identification" field of IP header

>>Note that the portion of a packet returned in an ICMP does not include
>>even the IP source and destination addresses; the identification value
>>is almost the only value that can be relied upon to identify the
>>original packet upon getting an ICMP....
>>

>Actually, ICMP packets are supposed to return the entire IP header
>(including options) plus 64 bits of the IP data.  So, you should get
>up to the TCP and UDP port numbers.  (RFC 792 explicitly states
>that it assumes that higher level protocols have their port numbers
>in the first 64 bits).
>
>			-David Borman

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information meant for the sole use of the recipient(s) specified in the e-mail. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution (including but not limited to: forwarding, replying to, or including recipients not included in the original e-mail) without the sender's prior approval is STRICTLY prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.