[e2e] the evolution of deployability

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Tue Dec 17 10:35:43 PST 2002

I also suspect that the major vendors of NAT boxes are neither C nor M,
but rather Linksys, DLink, Netgear and similar consumer-oriented
vendors. The primary motivation for NATs is not selling boxes, but the
exorbitant cost of IPv4 addresses. Even for a business DSL, last time I
looked, a single IPv4 address costs $5/month. My suspicion is that ISPs
use the IPv4 scarcity to reduce bandwidth usage by making deploying web
servers, Shoutcast and P2P servers difficult. They have an active
interest in not making IPv6 happen, much more than M or C, which would
presumably be more than happy if customers had to upgrade operating
systems or routers. (Conspiracy-minded folks could imagine nothing
better for M than if the Internet were to convert to IPv6 on January 1
and only Windows XP supported IPv6.)