[e2e] RED router

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Tue Dec 17 12:17:11 PST 2002

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:10:36 +0100
"Francesco Vacirca" <francesco at net.infocom.uniroma1.it> wrote:

> I would like to know the actual diffusion of RED routers in the
> internet(the routers that have RED turned on).
> Someone knows some works or references to give me about it?

Most popular infrastructure routers should support some form of RED and
would have for awhile now.  I'm familiar with both Cisco and Juniper and
they have it.  Note, I recently came across a scenario which highlighted
the need for an upgraded ATM hardware interface on Juniper routers that
would be required to fully support RED across multiple PVCs.  See the
following for related info:

 <http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/juniper-nsp/2002-October/000213.html>

Newer versions of the Linux kernel also provide RED support and I
imagine the BSD kernels probably do as well.

In all cases that I know about, RED is not enabled by default.  For this
reason it is probably not widely deployed.  However, you can find
further details about deployments and lots of other RED info at Sally
Floyd's excellent RED page:

  <http://www.icir.org/floyd/red.html>

John