[e2e] the evolution of deployability

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Tue Dec 17 20:12:03 PST 2002

You know, DECnet probably looked better in theory than in practice.

I doubt if any of the architects of LAT, who decided to make it so dependant
on local-network timings were proud of that decision in hindsight. X25
architects are probably still proud of the niche they filled.

Maybe IPv6 is not as good as it looked on paper. But judged against its PEERS
maybe its still worth it? Its about in-context decisions, not about what-if.

Do we have to question *everything* *all the time* ? How far does this go? do
we re-visit TUBA and SIPP?

Designing protocols which fail at layer 8 or 9 is just as much designing
failed protocols. Engineering isn't Science, its closer to Art precisely
because it admits to the failure of the human experience, and mediates from
the theoretical perfection to a practical, achievable reality.

-George