[e2e] the evolution of deployability

Fred L. Templin ftemplin at IPRG.nokia.com
Wed Dec 18 10:31:47 PST 2002

grenville armitage wrote:
> Only the naive think standards bodies exist for the betterment of
> the technology. Standards bodies can, and are, used to slow down a
> particular approach or solution, particularly when competing vendors
> have investment and market share at stake. The IETF has certainly
> morphed from an organization of researchers and engineers (with RFCs as
> trailing indicators documenting their work) to a standards body (haggling
> over preferred positions to see whose marketing and sales groups get
> to hail their product as conforming to the most RFCs).

I understand your statement about the IETF to a certain degree, but
I am also naive enough to believe that there are still researchers and
engineers involved whose primary motivation is the betterment of technology.
What would you say to those (like myself) who simply want to see the best
possible technical solutions emerge and strive to make positive technical
contributions whenever possible?

Fred Templin
ftemplin at iprg.nokia.com