[e2e] the evolution of deployability

J. Noel Chiappa jnc at ginger.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Dec 19 09:41:08 PST 2002

    > From: "Fred L. Templin" <ftemplin at IPRG.nokia.com>

    > I am also naive enough to believe that there are still researchers and
    > engineers involved whose primary motivation is the betterment of
    > technology.

Oddly enough, I think that actually almost everyone involved has that as *a*
motivation. I think the issue is that many people have other motivations *as
well* (ranging from personal feelings like having your ideas out there, to
the monetary ones we've been discussing), and in some people those other
motivations dominate their choices. What share of the IETF, I'm not really
sure, but I do think for a major share, doing good technology really is
still tops.

    > What would you say to those (like myself) who simply want to see the
    > best possible technical solutions emerge and strive to make positive
    > technical contributions whenever possible?

Keep it up - but be aware that the whole IETF system has systemic problems
which are rooted, fundamentally, in the growth in the size and importance of
the Internet.

	Noel