[e2e] using p2p overlays to overcome recursive NATs/realms

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Feb 8 18:33:55 PST 2002

Oh, I do indeed understand.  However, I think it is pretty clear that ISPs
have no interest in deploying v6.  A fair number of them would love to stay
in v4 because the lack of addresses creates a steep entry barrier for
competitors.  Others like the idea that they can differentiate service for
business users by charging an arm and a leg per IP address, even when they
aren't scarce.  And the original argument for NAT (address reduction) has
been colonized by "firewall" features that users think they need, not
realizing that the problem is with their OS vendors.

Sadly, I believe that V6 will be deployed for some time with the same
architecture as v4, and NAT boxes will, if anything, further restrict
protocol innovation that provides new edge-based applications.  After all,
if you require servers, you can insert a billing point at the server.

Having had more than a little to do with the creation of UDP, which was a
placeholder for true group-coordination protocols rather than virtual
circuits, I daily mourn the barriers to innovation that have been created
by expediency that has been captured by cynical building of (garden) walls.

No flame here, just an observation that NATs are bad architecture, creating
unnecessary scarcity, unnecessary barriers to innovation, etc.

They are popular precisely because they create what should have been there
from the start - the ability to add new networks at the edges - it's just
that those networks are profoundly second-class under NATs.  That's what
internetworking was supposed to be about.  But if the technical community
had cared enough to understand their responsibility to keep up with this
need, we would have had V6 in 1995, and NATs would not be necessary.

- David