[e2e] using p2p overlays to overcome recursive NATs/realms

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Feb 9 18:14:42 PST 2002

At 07:35 PM 2/9/2002 -0500, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:
> >From that perspective, the operators who are charging for extra addresses
>probably hate NAT boxes, since they have a negative impact on their
>revenue.

Well, there was a "leak" from an anonymous Comcast employee recently that
they had organized a task force to detect NAT users and kick them off the
network.  Don't know if it is true, but nothing surprises me.  What's odd
is that Comcast doesn't offer a way to buy multiple IP addresses per home
(well, you can try to put multiple cable modems on the same line), so they
aren't "losing revenue" unless they really think that lots of customers are
using wireless & NATs to share with their neighbors.