[e2e] JOIN FOR FREE! ... Learn and Earn

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Sat Feb 9 18:41:15 PST 2002

Eric A. Hall wrote:

> Joe Touch wrote:
>

>>We decided against limiting posts to 'members only' because of the
>>complexity incurred by users with multiple accounts (subscribe from
>>Y would mean submissions must be sent only from Y
>>

> There is ample evidence that spam on mailing lists is easily muted without
> imposing significant costs on anybody, but that allowing it to continue
> introduces ongoing costs to all parties.

While I appreciate all the analyses, each configuration is unique. This
list is run by a comp center that supports Mailman, which has some spam
filtering which is already in place. Unfortunately, that filtering is
incomplete.

I will continue to evaluate the suggested alternatives - the callback
system, spamlist services, etc, and install a feasible alternative when
one is identified. (feasible to implement on this list, given its
current configuration and support). Keep in mind, please, that
regardless of system, it is not feasible to please every subscriber all
the time.

Joe