[e2e] using p2p overlays to overcome recursive NATs/realms

Joe Touch touch at ISI.EDU
Thu Feb 14 10:59:32 PST 2002

Hans Kruse wrote:

> OK, lets not reopen the NAT flame wars....   In your app, however, you
> are running into the original and most prolific NAT customer -- high-end
> home/SOHO users who are stuck with ISPs that provide exactly one IP4
> address.  To my knowledge we do not have a non-NAT solution for these
> folks wanting to use more than one machine behind that ISP.

Sure we do - just one that's hard. What we need is a service that offers
tunnels and delegates real blocks of real IP addresses.

I.e., since your ISP won't administer the Internet properly, find one
that does and use your NAT as a link to get to them.

Joe