[e2e] Mapping IP Addresses to Geographic Location

Shane Cruz shanec at media.mit.edu
Tue Feb 26 14:51:10 PST 2002

I am currently in the process of researching the possibilities of
generating a mapping from IP addresses to geographic locations.  I am
starting by analyzing various techniques and methodologies (such as
parsing WHOIS and traceroute requests) in order to get a good idea of the
accuracy that can be provided with these methods.  In order to create a
useful analysis, I need to obtain a sizeable data set that maps IP
addresses to actual location information (such as a zip code).  Does
anybody know of a good way to obtain this type of data?  Currently, I have
created a site that has a simple form for users to enter their zip code so
I can store the IP and zip.  For more information about this research, and
to help me in collecting this data, please visit:

http://www.media.mit.edu/~shanec/ipmapping.html

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Shane

--
Shane E. Cruz
Research Assistant, Critical Computing Group
Email: shanec at media.mit.edu