[e2e] Overly Overlay; Peer to peer is commonplace

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 2 14:10:04 PST 2002

In message <F66A04C29AD9034A8205949AD0C901040194DA68 at win-msg-02.wingroup.windep
loy.ntdev.microsoft.com>, "Christian Huitema" typed:

 >>they
 >>noone
 >>>
 >>> From my perspective, what's interesting is that it looks like the
 >>> mobile ad-hoc networking folks are getting ahead of the wire-line
 >>folks.
 >>
 >>Uh, looking at recent publications, it seems that most ad hoc routing
 >>algorithms scale with the number of nodes N in at least O(N), if not
 >>O(N^2) -- they also have a scaling dependency on the number of neighbors
 >>per node. Not quite what you would want for Internet wide routing...

not sure what publications or what definition of "recent" you are
using - i've seen self organisign hierarchies (not just spine) based
ad hoc protocols which do way way better....depends on the _mobility_
model - a lot of people have naive mobility models - if you use a mix
of techniques, and a mix orf appropriate scale mobile/wireless node
velocity models, you can do really quite well...

esp. if you dont start with ip:-)

 cheers

   jon