[e2e] TCP out of order - idempotent packet/ack

Jon Crowcroft Jon.Crowcroft at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 22 23:41:16 PST 2002

there are some security reasons for having a nonce in a packet

if we did, we could identify each ack as "belonging" to a specific
transmission (including specific retransmissions) which would allow
full decoupling of rtt estimation ,bottleneck bandwidth estimation,
and reliablility

of course, it wouldn;t look much like TCP anymore, but it might work a
bit better, and be a lot simpler (looking at SACK DACK and other
processing nowdays is like trying to read hieroglyphics written
on fresh pasta

In message <1011718912.2745.20.camel at c703-pc55>, Michael Welzl typed:

 >>Folks,
 >>
 >>Could we change the subject? With every mail I get, I get scared because
 >>I believe the Internet is malfunctioning ...
 >>
 >>Or, at least, now that TCP is out of order, please let me know when it
 >>is working again!
 >>
 >>:)
 >>
 >>Cheers,
 >>Michael