[e2e] web based network configuration tester

Richard Carlson RACarlson at anl.gov
Thu Jul 11 11:20:14 PDT 2002

Folks;

For the past few months I have been developing a web based configuration
tester.  I have a globally visible copy at
http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123  This tool uses a Web100 enhanced kernel
and a java applet originally written at ORNL to analyze end-to-end TCP flows.

The idea is to gather enough data from a single test to determine 1) the
link type (Fast Ethernet, Ethernet, IEEE 802.11 wireless, or Cable/DSL
modem); 2) the duplex setting (full or half); and 3) if a shared link in
the path is congested.  It also looks for errors due to Duplex Mis-match
and faulty hardware conditions.  The applet provides 'drill down' buttons
to give the user as much or as little information as they want.  Finally
there is a 'report trouble' button that will generate an email report.

So far this tester has received over 1000 hits from over 14 countries on 3
continents.  I would be interested in hearing from this community on how
accurate this tool is and what problems it fails to report.  Please give it
a try and let me know what you think.

Rich

Richard A. Carlson				e-mail: RACarlson at anl.gov
Network Research Section			phone:  (630) 252-7289
Argonne National Laboratory			fax:    (630) 252-4021
9700 Cass Ave. S.
Argonne,  IL 60439