[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

Melinda Shore mshore at cisco.com
Sun Jun 16 05:56:53 PDT 2002

At 10:45 AM 6/16/02 +0000, Sean Doran wrote:
>I think an interesting area of research would be in analysing
>*why* end2end models for various real-world problems have *failed*
>to achieve the uptake enjoyed by non-end2end ("middle") solutions.

That one's easy, actually.  There's an economic model underlying
end-to-end networking that's trivially but completely incompatible
with the way capitalism works - there's not really a good way to
describe what's mine and what's not mine, how to account for
resource utilization and charge for it, etc.  I do think that
it can be mitigated and that figuring out a business model that
accommodates policy at the edge is a really interesting project
(for somebody else), but until that happens the people who deploy
networks are going to continue to take the easy-to-understand
route towards making the edges of their networks distinct and
manageable.

Melinda