[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

grenville armitage gja at ureach.com
Sun Jun 16 06:11:32 PDT 2002

Sean Doran wrote:
	[..]
> I think an interesting area of research would be in analysing
> *why* end2end models for various real-world problems have *failed*
> to achieve the uptake enjoyed by non-end2end ("middle") solutions.

Simple. The majority of the 'real world' don't want,
nor care, to engage in networking issues. The system
should Just Work. E2e solutions (or service enhancements)
usually propose changes to end-systems - your desktop and
mine - which violates the It Just Works principle.
Middleboxes make new service deployment an invisible,
and therefore rather tolerable, process for the average
user (for various definitions of 'user').

E2e solutions don't have to be fundamentally wrong for
there to be substantial resistance to deployment.

cheers,
gja