[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

Melinda Shore mshore at cisco.com
Sun Jun 16 08:26:44 PDT 2002

At 11:00 AM 6/16/02 -0400, David P. Reed wrote:
>Not true.   I think you'd find if the edges did a very simple thing (encryption of all traffic), that network owners would *have* to involve the edges in policy, and market forces would cause the network owners to seek to please customers rather than control them.

A really interesting thing is happening here.  If you talk to
people who run enterprise networks and explain to them that
through the use of firewalls and NATs they're interfering with
the ability to protect application traffic, they'll tell you
that they know that and it's part of why they do it.  They
perceive a need to put tight controls on what goes out of their
networks as well as what's permitted in, and it's not that
uncommon to find businesses that even require the use of company
proxies for outgoing ssh connections.

End-to-end networking puts control into the hands of end users
and their applications.  The people who own the networks in
question may not, in many, many cases, think that's a good thing.

Melinda