[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sun Jun 16 11:14:19 PDT 2002

At 05:47 PM 6/16/2002 +0000, Sean Doran wrote:
>P.S.: Do you run into many radicals who suggest that a middle box
>       must or even should be in front of EVERY host in the Internet?

Sadly, yes.   Hundreds.   Vendors of stateful inspection firewalls, NAT
boxes, proxies, layer N switches, ... , vendors of wiretapping equipment,
.... and the customers of those vendors.

And they each insist on providing a platform for adding more functions to
filter or transform end-to-end traffic to their liking.

The motto of these folks seems to be "if we can hack together something
that sort of works sometimes, we'll ship it and then claim that anyone who
cannot communicate through us must become compliant with our new *standard*".

Often when one asks them for help to get ordinary, standard IP traffic
through them, they get really angry and start questioning why *anyone*
would *ever* want to use that new application.
Really interested in helping users get work done, or understanding market
opportunities...