[e2e] tcp in high rate network

Jonathan M. Smith jms at central.cis.upenn.edu
Mon Jun 17 05:45:59 PDT 2002

In the absence of errors and congestion TCP can run as fast as IP (minus
some processing overhead) if properly tuned and presuming the end-point
device has the horesepower to drive it. In practice, these latter two
are coupled (e.g., choice of buffer size vs. host I/O capacity vs. DRAM
speeds vs. slow-start vs. RTT ....). For an architectural prespective,
see:

%T An Analysis of TCP Processing Overhead
%A David D. Clark
%A Van Jacobson
%A John Romkey
%A Howard Salwen
%J IEEE Communications Magazine
%V 27
%N 6
%D June 1989
%P 23-29

For an experimental perspective, we filled most of an OC-3c between Philadelphia
and Morristown NJ with TCP/IP/ATM/SONET in 1994 - the limitations were in the
hosts, not the protocol. In later experiments in 1995, with different hosts,
we were able to sustain 215+ Mbps, TCP/IP/ATM/SONET, albeit not over the WAN.
The limit in this case was again the host, in particular a bus in the data
transfer path.

In summary, TCP seems to be able to run as fast as links as long as the factors
pointed out above are addressed.

								-JMS