[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.rhyolite.com
Mon Jun 17 07:05:10 PDT 2002

> From: Panos GEVROS <P.Gevros at cs.ucl.ac.uk>

> never suggested breaching user privacy, imposing control on the content,
> censorship, restricting freedom of speech or anything of this sort  ..
> how one ensures that the bad things above do not happen in practice is
> engineering as indeed were my concerns. whether this happens in practice -or
> in other words where one draws that line of control is politics.

On the contrary, you did suggest those things, because those things
are inevitable with control.  It is better to be honest about the
means and ends.  Detecting or prevent email from employees disclosing
secrets to their friends or spymasters is about violating user
privacy, censorship, restricting freedom of speech, and so forth.
(I've recently seen advertising about products that claim to do
that.)  So is defending against incoming spam.  Even defending
against denial of service attacks necessarily involves censorship
and restricing freedom of speech.  It seems obvious to me, although
not to many vendors that any intrusion detection system with the
least hope of breaking the mold of the last 20 years of academic
ideas or snakeoil will breach user privacy at least a little.

If breaching user privacy and so forth were not involved, then
encryption would have no effect.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com