[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

grenville armitage gja at ureach.com
Mon Jun 17 07:31:53 PDT 2002

David P. Reed wrote:
	[..]
> But there are middleboxes that are being developed to try to detect, for
> example, copyright watermarks in the data.

This isn't unique to middleboxes. 'Some people' have suggested
such things inside cellphones or CD players too. Just proves
that intrusive content scanning will be introduced by people
who want to try, and will be accepted by people who do not
care. Nothing to do with e2e vs middleboxes.

	[..]
> Neither a nor b lends metaphorical support to the idea that middleboxes
> proliferating everywhere is a good thing or desired by users.

Never said it was a good thing, merely understandable. And
it is understandable because most  *users* really don't care,
leaving the deployment decision in the hands of either
(a) control freaks, or (b) over-worked admins who'd prefer
to drop in one box than reconfigure 100s. Case (a) will
always exist, case (b) is what we need to focus on.

cheers,
gja
--
Grenville Armitage