[e2e] TCP, retransmissions, and ISPs with byte caps

Sean Doran smd at ab.use.net
Mon Jun 17 08:48:27 PDT 2002

| On a different tangent, has anyone got pointers to
| studies of TCP retransmission rates in the context of
| 'typical' consumer broadband access? (And, e.g.,
| the (dis?)incentive for a dodgy ISP to reduce packet loss
| rates if they're also counting retransmitted packets against
| a customer's weekly/monthly usage cap.)

How would you NOT count retransmitted packets against
a customer's weekly/monthly usage cap??   There's alot
of potential state even just in 2 MSL!

Shouldn't the onus be on the sender of traffic to police
what is being sent, in the face of usage caps of any kind?

(This argues that the approach to bandwidth caps in the ISP->user
direction should be different from the reverse.  This is often
the case anyway, afaict.  However "thou art responsible for all
the traffic summoned by thee, or even thy mere existence" is
pretty tricky in the face of DDOS, pop-up ads, spam, ...)

	Sean.

PS - no I don't have pointers.  and yes, i can think of many
     ways a dodgy ISP could cause a careful and RFC-conforming
     host to transmit more packets than it would ordinarily,
     and think such behaviour should meet stiff sanctions.