[e2e] TCP, retransmissions, and ISPs with byte caps

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 17 09:44:24 PDT 2002

At 18 Jun 2002 00:10:41 +1000, gja at ureach.com wrote:
>On a different tangent, has anyone got pointers to
>studies of TCP retransmission rates in the context of
>'typical' consumer broadband access?

   I haven't seen any specific studies on that topic, but I have heard
anecdotal reports that packet loss due to corruption can reach relatively
high levels when decades-old, possibly corroded, underground cable is used.

>(And, e.g.,
>the (dis?)incentive for a dodgy ISP to reduce packet loss
>rates if they're also counting retransmitted packets against
>a customer's weekly/monthly usage cap.)

   Studies done in the early days of broadband access suggested that people
tended to spend roughly the same time downloading material regardless of
their access rate.  (Presumably, this behaviour would change as speeds tend
to infinity!)  In that case, forcing retransmissions would only result in a
reduction of traffic.

Colin Percival