[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Jun 17 09:46:03 PDT 2002

In message <200206171533.g5HFX8mo010370 at central.cis.upenn.edu>, "Jonathan M. Sm
ith" writes:

>Well I didn't say that no one would invest in a commodity business - it's
>clear that's not true. But here is the more relevant question - will innovatio
>occur as quickly without big enough profits to sustain risks?

Who says big profits equal innovation?

In fact, the pressure over recent years for profit-making companies is to
get rid of research, because it is hard to quantify the return on investment --
especially in the short term.  Cisco bragged for years about not spending
money on research.

I'd argue that an open network encourages innovation because it keeps
the cost of entry low, and thus the potential return for small investment
remains high.

Craig