[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.rhyolite.com
Mon Jun 17 10:25:27 PDT 2002

> From: smd at ab.use.net (Sean Doran)

> P.S.: I wonder whether the "total transparency"/"total privacy"
>       people think of Napster and its descendents being run on
>       their institutions' networks.  Oh wait, i was supposed
>       to be shutting up...

You don't have to be an idiot of a zealot on either side.  That you
limit the freedoms of your house guests does not imply that you favor
checkpoints on all interstate highways to verify travel documents,
sufficient reason for travelling, a history of correct thought, and
a good choice of parents.

That middleboxes can be useful in some places does not mean that they
are right everywhere, or that they are stupid and evil in many places
does not imply that they are stupid and evil everywhere.

A good rule of thumb is that those pushing the stupid and evil
middleboxes try to keep them secret from the people affected, while
the good boxes are advertised.

That's the point of using SMTP-TLS and similar encryption.  It brings
the evil middleboxes into the light, where they will burst into flames
and disappear.

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com