[e2e] tcp in high rate network

Rick Jones raj at tardy.cup.hp.com
Mon Jun 17 11:07:42 PDT 2002

Isn't there a presumption in TCP that the sequence space will not be
wrapped within MSL or 2*MSL? I suppose that enabling timestamps means
that is "way out there" but even today, timestamps are not universal,
and we have TCP's going at > Gbit/s and wrapping the classic 32bit
sequence space fairly quickly.

rick jones
Call it roughly 128 MB/s (yes, that is more than a gigabit, but it
makes the math easy and is more conservative in this context :) So
that is a gigabyte in 8 seconds, or a full 32-bits worth of bytes in
32 seconds.  Before too much longer that will be 3.2 seconds or
less. I trust that most timestamp implementations clock with
reasonable dispatch.