[e2e] New approach to diffserv...

Scott Brim swb at employees.org
Tue Jun 18 06:54:19 PDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 09:26:23AM -0400, Fred Baker wrote:
> At 04:17 PM 6/15/2002 -0400, Shivkumar Kalyanaraman wrote:
> >While I have no love lost for middle boxes, I dont understand how
> >end-to-end approaches can provide equivalent services which may have value
> >to enterprise customers who seem to be gobbling such boxes up...
>
> doing it in the end system itself,

Generally the problem with just doing that is power.  Network operators
don't want users to have the power to do whatever they want, for
security or financial reasons.  There are also some middlebox functions
which make more sense when use is aggregated.

> or in the first-hop router.

In that case the first-hop router is then a middlebox.  (I tried to get
people to use "middlefunction" for a while to get away from the "box"
preconception, but even I didn't like it.)